We believe that it is important to calculate and reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Intensive efforts to reduce product density have significantly decreased the carbon footprint of our closures from approximately 16g CO2-eq in 2007 to an estimated 11g CO2-eq in 2011. To continue to lower our environmental footprint, we focus strongly on applying the pillars of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle into our sustainability program.
Did you know?
- We reduced raw material use by 17% globally per closure produced from 2010 to 2012, despite increased production.
- By purchasing more materials locally and increasing our use of rail transportation, we have decreased our overall freight impact by 40%.
- From 2007 to 2011, we reduced our Classic+ product carbon footprint by 35%.
- Our Belgian facility is powered by 100% renewable wind energy.
- In 2012, we installed 1,260 solar panels on the rooftop of our U.S. headquarters, which will produce 400,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per year.
- We use reusable shipping containers to transport extruded “work-in-progress” closures from our facility in North Carolina to our facility in Belgium for finishing. Since 2010, Nomacorc has seen a global reduction of 16% in cardboard use per closure shipped.
- All Nomacorc closures are fully recyclable* with RIC 4 low-density polyethylene (LDPE) materials.
- Nearly all of the water used during the manufacturing of Nomacorc closures is recycled or reclaimed.
- All scrap materials are recycled. 100% of materials created through our production process is recycled and converted to other industrial products.
*Product Recyclability: Although fully recyclable, Nomacorc’s ongoing goal is to ensure that its closures are being recycled by consumers and wineries. Learn more about our recycling partnerships and programs >>
Carbon Neutral Closures
We are working towards reducing our dependency on fossil fuels by using biotechnology to produce plant-based, carbon neutral closures. Learn more about Select Green, the world’s first zero carbon footprint wine closure >>
For a complete list of Polemic substances absent from our closures, click here >>
About BPA and Nomacorc closures, read white paper here >>